Hello everyone! Unfortunately the M’s couldn’t pull off the sweep last night against the Rangers. But they’ve got another early (ish) game today against the Royals. Here are some links to start off your day.
In Mariners news...
- This is very good news.
The woman hit in the chest by the Espinosa error was in the seat in front of me. I'm told she will be ok.— Tepid Participation (@TepidP) August 2, 2017
- James Paxton appeared in an interview with MLB Network to discuss The Maple Grove and a number of other topics.
- The M’s came away with a couple of monthly awards yesterday. Edwin Diaz was named the American League Reliever of the Month and James Paxton is the AL Pitcher of the Month!
- The Mariners have been signing a ton of guys out of the Northwest-based Driveline Baseball program.
- Scott Servais is hoping that the Mariners will retain Drew Smyly after the season is over, which is definitely not what I expected.
In Mariners minors news...
- Evan Marshall is back! Kinda.
Evan Marshall was recalled from his rehab assignment, activated from the 60-day DL and outrighted to Tacoma.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) August 2, 2017
- Braden Bishop continues to tear things up. He’s probably the most interesting outfield prospect in the system these days.
Braden Bishop since promotion to Double-A Arkansas:— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 3, 2017
12G, .383/.444/.426/.870, 18H, 2 2B, 6R, 4RBI, 5BB, 4K, 3/3 SB. #ARTravs
- Bishop’s old team — the Modesto Nuts — snapped a five-game losing skid last night thanks to a solid performance from Reggie McClain on the mound, who’s been struggling lately.
Around the league...
- Major League Baseball might force the Diamondbacks to move soon because Chase Field is not in good condition.
- Eric Longenhagen at Fangraphs ranks all of the prospects traded near or at this year’s deadline. Tyler O’Neill, Marco Gonzales, and Brandon Miller all have little snippets about them.
- Somehow I missed this yesterday: Evan Longoria hit for the cycle.
- A security guard and a fan got into it last night in a game between the A’s and Giants.
- MLBTradeRumors takes a look at some hitters who are losing some valuable future dollars in their walk years.
- The Dodgers — who now possess a super team — are chasing the Mariners single-season win record.
- Masahiro Tanaka has been worse this season when pitching in day games. Normally that’s just a quirky stat used by broadcasters to fill time (I say this as a broadcaster who’s done similar). But in Tanaka’s case there might be some data to support it.