Good morning everyone! I’m back here on the east coast (pretty close to Baltimore, actually). Sadly the Mariners’ success didn’t follow me here as they lost by a measly run last night. Get well soon, pitchers. Anyway, here’s some links to get your day started.
In Mariners news...
- Jarrod Dyson the SuperSonics fan?
In Mariners minors news...
- It seems that Tim Viehoff has found success in his new long relief role, but he is still walking a heck of a lot of batters.
Tim Viehoff since July 22nd:— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 29, 2017
9G, 0-1, 20IP, 11H (10 singles, 1 2B), 1R, 0ER, 9BB, 19K, .167 BAA. #LumberKings
- As Grant and Ben mentioned yesterday, this guy could be in line for a September call-up.
Jonathan Aro at Tacoma:— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 29, 2017
23G, 6-0, 3.18ERA, 39.2IP, 29H, 11BB, 46K, .206 BAA. #Rainiers
- Two M’s minor league teams pulled out late wins in walk-off fashion yesterday.
Jack Larsen WALKOFF WALK! AZL Mariners win 12-11 in 10!— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 29, 2017
Around the league...
- Hey wait, when did Nori become a Blue Jay?
- What the heck are the Yankees going to do about a struggling Aroldis Chapman?
- How likely is it that Giancarlo Stanton reaches 74 home runs this season? It could happen, but don’t count your blessings.
- Apparently the Giants are the team that has “expressed the most interest” in acquiring Giancarlo. Yeah, good luck.
- This is a good question. Thoughts?
You're MLB commissioner.— Joe Rivera (@JoeRiveraSN) August 28, 2017
You have the power to change ONE thing in baseball now — BUT any other changes have to wait 5 years.
- The Astros and Rangers will play their series starting today in Tropicana Field in Tampa Bay due to Hurricane Harvey. Hopefully the city of Houston and the surrounding area will recover quickly from this disaster.
- Some players are doing their part to help out relief efforts. Matt Carpenter of the Cardinals is planning to donate $10,000 for every home run he hits.
- Wow, what the—...how?
- Jeff Sullivan broke down Joey Votto’s five-walk game.
- Anyone remember this guy?
- Eli Ben-Portat of The Hardball Times offered an argument for implementing the designated hitter across both leagues. Later today he’ll give the opposing perspective.
- It seems like everyone is talking about Rhys Hoskins these days. The Good Phight gives a Phillies fan’s view on the young slugger.
- Since Aaron Judge has slipped in the second half, the American League MVP race is a wide open one.
Nick Pivetta just attempted the world's least effective pickoff move pic.twitter.com/VTYNcAfJbs— Ben Harris (@byBenHarris) August 27, 2017
- Yoenis Cespedes is now out for the season after injuring his hamstring.
- Apparently Taylor Motter isn’t the only player who sees himself as being nightmarish.
- I don’t know how many of you are into celebrity drama, but former co-stars Drake Bell and Josh Peck were in a little bit of a spat recently because one didn’t invite the other to his wedding. But now it seems they’ve made up. Aww!