Good morning folks and Happy Eclipse Day! While many are out and about watching various amounts of the moon covering the sun, there’s still baseball going on. Here are some links to get your day — and week — started.
In Mariners news...
- Danny Espinosa’s tenure in Seattle was short-lived. The infielder has been placed on irrevocable release waivers.
In Mariners minors news...
- Every single M’s minor league affiliate that played yesterday lost. But there are some notable performances we should talk about. For one, Johnny Slater has sure turned a corner with Clinton.
Johnny Slater in August:— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 20, 2017
16G, .304/.371/.446/.817, 17H, 5 2B, 1HR, 10R, 3RBI, 5BB, 16K, 2/2 SB. #LumberKings (@J_Slate25)
- Donnie Walton has also gotten things going with the bat in Modesto. The former switch-hitter has recently started hitting exclusively from the left-handed side. He’s seen some pretty good results since making that change.
Donnie Walton's last 11 games:— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 20, 2017
.381/.422/.571/.994, 16H, 6 2B, 1 3B, 6R, 6RBI, 3BB, 9K. #GoNuts
Around the league...
- Umpires around baseball are wearing white wristbands in protest of players’ verbal assaults on their members.
- And, well...that didn’t last long. The umps have given up on the white wristbands (after just one day) because they’ve arranged a meeting with Rob Manfred.
- Ian Kinsler got a pretty hefty fine for publicly trashing umpires.
- Trade rumors have been swirling about Marco Estrada, but now reports suggest the Blue Jays want to extend his contract.
- A handful of MLB players have been hanging out with competitors in the Little League World Series.
- Some pretty crazy things are happening in the LLWS.
North Carolina beats California 16-0 in 5 innings and is the first U.S. team in LLWS history to throw back-to-back no-hitters. pic.twitter.com/kwZLXUIOpi— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) August 20, 2017
- The Dodgers sent Jacob Rhame to the Mets as the PTBNL for Curtis Granderson. That got to be the fastest a PTBNL has ever been named that I’ve seen.
- I guess the Rays didn’t get a very good turnout at yesterday’s game.
Perhaps a lot of people are at brunch pic.twitter.com/mPXXX0r3TO— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) August 20, 2017
- Bartolo Colon became the third active pitcher to record a win against every team in the majors by defeating the Diamondbacks yesterday. I bet you can’t name the other two without looking (I definitely couldn’t).
- Here is Adrian Beltre being a real Texas Ranger.
Swag never sleeps. pic.twitter.com/KypVYOQKlu— Texas Rangers (@Rangers) August 20, 2017
- Wonder how much of the eclipse you’ll see from where you are? Check out this neat interactive map.