Good morning everyone! Today is sadly an off-day for the Mariners. They’re just about to head off on the world’s longest road trip. The team won’t be back in Seattle until the month of September begins. Pretty crazy. Here are some links to get you through this off-day.
In Mariners news...
- Looks like Christian Bergman will be sticking around.
RHP Christian Bergman cleared waivers and was outrighted to Tacoma.— Bob Dutton (@TNT_Mariners) August 16, 2017
- Grant Brisbee is a big fan of the Mariners this season, noting they’re his favorites for the second wild card spot.
- Robinson Cano discussed his choice to have “Don’t You Know” on his jersey for Players’ Weekend, which I ranked as the team’s worst nickname.
In Mariners minors news...
- Eric Longenhagen at Fangraphs provides updated top 10 prospect lists for every team in the AL West.
- Tyler Marlette is having a hell of a series. He’s now hit three homers in his last two games.
Tyler Marlette blasts a solo HR!! Travelers take a 10-9 lead in the 10th!— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 17, 2017
- The Travelers hung on to win in a 10-9 slugfest in 10 innings. Braden Bishop continued his hot hitting, going 3-for-6 with a homer.
- It was a heck of a day for the Mariners’ minor league system. The Clinton LumberKings also won in 10 innings on a walk-off single by Jhombeyker Morales, who went 4-for-4.
Around the league...
- Longtime Angels starter Jered Weaver has announced his retirement. The right-hander had been spending the season with San Diego.
- This just in: Dee Gordon is very fast.
Dee Gordon, MUCH faster than a catcher. pic.twitter.com/MmZvaipU4T— Alex Pavlovic (@PavlovicNBCS) August 16, 2017
- Oh yikes.
- Here’s a cool feature to come out of ESPN: MLB players tell the stories behind their jersey numbers.
- Aaron Judge has not been doing so hot lately.
- Travis Sawchik wonders where Judge can go from here to recapture who he once was.
- The Marlins will listen to offers for superstar slugger Giancarlo Stanton. This could be interesting.
- Giancarlo is aiming for Roger Maris’ mark of 61 homers, which some people consider to be the “true” MLB record.
- The Cardinals are still fighting a custody battle for the Rally Cat. The shelter doesn’t want to give it up.
- Travis d’Arnaud of the Mets had a really strange day yesterday. He switched positions 11 times in one game.
- John Lackey stole a base yesterday. It was the first of his career.
- I’m guessing this will make a lot of people angry.