Hello everyone! The Mariners got back in the win column yesterday, so today is a good day. Seattle will go for the series victory in a day game today. Here are some links to get your morning going as you await the lunch-time contest.
In Mariners news...
- In case you missed it, the Mariners DFA’d Christian Bergman. Full credit to staff writer Ben Thoen for tweeting this just two days ago.
Does Christian Bergman get DFA'd before season's end?— Ben Thoen (@ben_thoen) August 15, 2017
In Mariners minors news...
- The Modesto Nuts are now in first place again thanks to a 4-2 victory over Rawhide. Reggie McClain had another strong start, making it back-to-back good ones for the right-hander.
- A couple of LumberKings bullpen arms have been on hot streaks lately.
Tim Viehoff's last 6 games:— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 16, 2017
0-1, 16IP, 9H, 1R, 0ER, 6BB, 14K. #LumberKings
- The Arkansas Travelers came away with a 9-2 win yesterday, thanks in large part to this incredible performance:
Outstanding start by Lindsey Caughel! Final line: 8IP, 5H, 2R, 2BB, 7K, 96-62. #ARTravs— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 16, 2017
Around the league...
- For one Purple Row writer, Chad Bettis returning from cancer to pitch in another outing with his favorite team was the best game he’d ever seen.
- Marco Estrada has been claimed by a #MysteryTeam. Before you get too excited though, the team is reportedly in the AL East.
- Tim Tebow was asked to say hello to a fan’s grandmother and he agreed. The lady was very pleased.
- MLB games have actually gotten longer this season — although only by 5 minutes on average.
- What a bizarre season.
Scooter Gennett is the first player in Major League Baseball history to hit four home runs in a game and pitch in the same season.— Jeremy Frank (@MLBRandomStats) August 15, 2017
- The Mets now have two outfielders from the eastern Seattle suburbs in Michael Conforto and Travis Snider.
The Mets sent cash to the Rangers for Snider, who was at Triple-A Round Rock.— Marc Carig (@MarcCarig) August 15, 2017
- The Miami Dolphins have agreed to a contract with wide receiver Trey Griffey — Junior’s son.
- The Astros and Tigers have discussed a deal involving Justin Verlander but a trade does not appear to be imminent.
- Ian Kinsler called out umpire Angel Hernandez for “ruining baseball games.”
- Joey Votto has reached base twice or more in each of the last 20 games. He’s just one game short of Ted Williams’ MLB record.