Good morning everyone! Happy Edgar Martinez weekend! Hopefully you can make it to one of the games to celebrate our should-be Hall of Fame DH. Even though the M’s lost to the Angels yesterday, there’s still three more chances to do some home cooking against a division foe. Let’s hope they can get it done.
In Mariners news...
- Good news for Tuffy fans!
Catcher Tuffy Gosewisch clears waivers and is outrighted by #Mariners to Triple-A Tacoma.— Bob Dutton (@TNT_Mariners) August 10, 2017
- And here are some Mariners injury updates.
Haniger could head out on a rehab assignment by the end of the week. But they won't rush him back. Might use all 20 days of it.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) August 10, 2017
Felix Hernandez said his shoulder is feeling better than the last time he had the bursititis. He thinks he'll be back before 4 weeks.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) August 10, 2017
Iwakuma plans to throw an extended bullpen tomorrow and possibly a sim game by end of the week/early next week.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) August 10, 2017
- Tony Blengino wrote about James Paxton’s dominance in his latest piece for Fangraphs.
- Nobody is really sure if there’s any meat behind this tweet, but he’s right.
Marco Estrada with his third straight strong start. Seems absolutely perfect for what the Mariners need right now, if it could line up.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) August 11, 2017
In Mariners minors news...
- The Modesto Nuts romped the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes in an 11-0 shut-out yesterday. Reggie McClain was terrific on the mound in a much-needed bounce-back start.
- Shae Simmons looked excellent in his rehab outing.
Shae Simmons in the 8th:— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 11, 2017
1IP, 0H, 0R, BB, 2K, 17-10. Breaking ball was filthy. #Rainiers
Around the league...
- Troy Tulowitzki is officially out for the year.
- Giancarlo Stanton is still amazing.
- It’s a weird time in baseball. Aaron Judge is going through a miniature slump. The Houston Astros as a team are also slumping. They just got swept by the freakin’ White Sox.
- The legend of the Rally Cat in St. Louis just got stranger. Someone claimed the cat was theirs and promptly lost it. But the Cardinals want it back.
- In case you were wondering: yes, this year has the tightest playoff race ever.
- Top Mets prospect Dominic Smith will be making his MLB debut today.
- This is one of my favorite Twitter accounts. It’s pretty self-explanatory.