The Mariners are alone in the second wild card spot! Look! Here’s proof!
Big Maple takes the mound today against the Angels at Safeco Field. Let’s rock and roll.
In Mariners news...
- In case you missed it, MLB and its teams rolled out the upcoming nicknames for players’ weekend. It appears that one Seager brother missed the memo.
- Here’s the whole lineup of Mariners nicknames.
- The M’s made some roster moves.
#Mariners send RHP Cody Martin to Triple-A Tacoma on an outright assignment after he clears waivers. Now have one opening on 40-man roster.— Bob Dutton (@TNT_Mariners) August 9, 2017
In Mariners minors news...
- Yesterday was a terrific day in the Mariners minor league system! Everybody but Arkansas came away victorious — and the Travelers only fell by a single run. In the loss, Braden Bishop went 3-4 against his former Husky teammate Tyler Davis with a double, a walk, and a stolen base.
Braden Bishop is 2/2 tonight against his former college teammate Tyler Davis with a single and a double, and has scored the game's lone run pic.twitter.com/R7zuIBGgn9— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) August 10, 2017
- Ernesto Frieri was pretty rad in his debut.
Final line for Ernesto Frieri in his Rainiers debut:— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 10, 2017
2.1IP, 0H, 0R, 0BB, 4K, 35 pitches, 23 strikes
- New catcher Mike Marjama blasted a HR en route to a 9-2 Tacoma win:
Welcome to Seattle's system, Mike Marjama! His first hit as a Rainier is a big one, a two-run shot that practically clears the party deck. pic.twitter.com/IhO5PnuKYr— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) August 10, 2017
- Sam Gaviglio was lifted in his start without even completing three innings, and Eric Filia was lifted from what would be an eventual Modesto win.
Around the league...
- The Mariners can thank a runaway kitten for helping the Cardinals defeat the Royals last night.
- SB Nation rounds up the best and worst players’ weekend jersey nicknames so you don’t have to.
- Here’s a list of all the players you can be mad at for not actually choosing nicknames.
- As always, Dan Haren has the best jokes with regards to jersey nicknames.
Other MLB jersey nicknames id consider:— dan haren (@ithrow88) August 9, 2017
"Yes I have no butt"
"How far did it fly"
"I'm trying stop booing"
"Perfect game" (just in case)
- Here are the official rankings of each MLB ballpark according to food safety. Spoiler alert: Safeco is the best.
- Dave Cameron thinks that A’s third baseman Matt Chapman could develop into a star player.
- Mike Trout is the first-ever bandwagon Philadelphia 76ers fan of the 2010s.
- Carlos Gonzalez is having an extraordinarily awful walk year. Luckily for the Rockies, CarGo turned down their “lucrative” extension offer that they made in the spring.
- Dave Cameron wonders if the Tigers can really get anything of value for Justin Verlander in a trade.
- Mike Trout might still win the American League MVP award even though he missed more than a month due to injury.
- Rays players wore shirts with “VENEZUELA” and the country’s flag on them in support of their friends’ families and loved ones who are suffering under the political unrest.
- The Mets have traded outfielder Jay Bruce to the Indians.
- I wish I could wash this from my eyes. Instead I’m going to force you all to look at it.