Hey friends, Anders had a little bit of life come up, so I’m house-sitting and doing my vey best not to damage the furniture or knock over any lamps. It’s such a comfortable couch though I can probably just stretch out a litt- "crash"
To the links.
In Mariners news...
- After his brilliant outing last night, new Mariner David Phelps took time to honor the birthday of his deceased friend and former Marlins teammate, Jose Fernandez.
- Jerry Dipoto indicates Mitch Haniger may be back in 10-14 days, although they are aware that mentally he might need longer to get comfortable in the batter’s box again.
In Mariners minors news...
- The Mariners have signed former Bothell High School standout RHP Brian McAfee to a minor league contract.
SIGNED. Make it four. @BrianMcAfee92 is the fourth Driveline pitcher to sign with the #Mariners. Rays ▶️ Saltdogs ▶️ Seattle. #indyballers pic.twitter.com/NX3RLGwKAp— Kyle Boddy (@drivelinebases) July 31, 2017
- Kyle Lewis has been hot hot heat since returning to his rehab in High-A Modesto.
Kyle Lewis in his last 8 games:— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 1, 2017
.364/.400/.727/1.127, 12H, 4HR, 7R, 9RBI, 2BB, 3K, SB. #Mariners
- Another day, another display of off-the-charts speed from new Tacoma Rainier OF Ian Miller.
When do you think the PCL figures out that Ian Miller is fast? Will it take them longer than it did for them to stop running on Leonys? pic.twitter.com/BF9hLm7BjI— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) July 31, 2017
- And in case our organization needed any more outfielders, there appear to still be signs of life from recent 2nd round pick, Gareth Morgan.
Congrats @garethmorgan44 on being named Midwest League Player of the Week! #LumberKings— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) July 31, 2017
Around the league...
- Former Athletics RHP Sonny Gray went to the Yankees for a group of prospects that have intriguing ceilings but enough health risks that folks seem to feel the Yankees won the deal. Jeff Sullivan thinks the Bronx Bombers are "World Series Ready."
- Longtime Rangers RHP Yu Darvish was moved at the last possible minute to the Dodgers for a few prospects and as a result will not start against the Mariners tonight, which is fortunate.
- Zach Britton and Justin Verlander are two of the biggest names who didn’t move at the deadline. The Tigers, it seems, aren’t quite ready to sell, and Verlander accidentally shared a password in the process of sharing his delight.
- Mark Trumbo somehow strained a bone?
.@Orioles put OF Mark Trumbo (rib cage strain) on 10-day DL, transfer INF J.J. Hardy to 60-day DL, option RHP Yefry Ramirez to Double-A.— MLBRosterMoves (@MLBRosterMoves) July 31, 2017
- The Astros acquired LHP Francisco Liriano. They intend to use him as a reliever.
- The St. Louis Cardinals denied Outsports a press credential to see them host guest speaker Lance Berkman.
- Nick Frankin cleared waivers, Brad Miller shaved his beard, and Ketel Marte was tragically placed on the bereavement list following the death of his mother.
I’m curious about how people felt about Steve Bartman at the time vs. now. I remember feeling some vitriol but now I feel almost exclusively only pity. How about you?
Steve Bartman will receive a Chicago Cubs World Series Ringhttps://t.co/kvilQhlxMf— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) July 31, 2017