Good morning folks and happy Monday! I hope you all had a fabulous weekend. I’m traveling to Corvallis for a few days, but here are some fresh links to keep you company as you get your day started.
In Mariners news...
- In case you missed it, yesterday was International Singing Day! So here’s some players that the M’s came to agreements with.
- The Mariners had also signed a teenage Brazilian pitcher, Christian Pedrol, back in May.
In Mariners minors news...
- The Rainiers won, 5-2, thanks to a solid start from still-rehabbing Cody Martin, who struck out seven and gave up just two hits in four innings of work. Jonathan Aro blew the save, but then Emilio Pagan, who has been lights-out since returning to Tacoma from Seattle, was right there to save the day. Leonys Martín had three hits on the day.
- The Travelers won in 12 innings on a walkoff from Chuck Taylor.
- Modesto won, again, and Pablo Lopez collected the victory, going seven innings of three-run ball. Eric Filia was 3-4 on the day and Joe DeCarlo hit a home run.
- The LumberKings lost in a shutout to the Cedar Rapids Kernals, 3-0.
- The AquaSox were also blanked for the first time this season, 3-0. Wyatt Mills, the Mariners’ third-round draft pick, continued to look impressive:
Watching Wyatt Mills and wow is he impressive. Will move very fast in Seattle's system. pic.twitter.com/B9loXqsDop— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) July 3, 2017
Around the league...
- The biggest piece of baseball news from yesterday was the announcement of the All-Star Game rosters. There are a few names that might make you laugh, others that might make you cry, and at least one that will make you cheer.
- An interesting nugget with regards to the All-Star rosters is that the Cubs only have one representative going to the game. Last year the Cubs had a practical takeover of the National League roster.
- Speaking of the International Signing Day, the Tampa Bay Rays signed the top international prospect, Wander Franco of the Dominican Republic.
- Pinstripe Alley addressed the potential fallouts of the Yankees calling up top prospect Clint Frazier.
- Even though Starling Marte is set to return from his suspension soon, Andrew McCutchen will continue to man center field when he gets back.
- The Rangers have acquired reliever Jason Grilli from the Blue Jays.
- For the first time in a decade, Justin Verlander failed to strike out a batter in a game he started.
- These guys are pretty freaking incredible. They do all sorts of stuff like this.