Happy Sunday! We're getting to the exciting part of the year where trade rumors circulate and teams start making moves. There are plenty of such rumors and more in today's links.
In Mariners News...
- Ryan Divish reports that Sam Gaviglio will likely be called up during the Houston series to complete the starting rotation.
- The Mariners 'pen has the lowest ERA of any bullpen across the league since May 21st.
- Beyond the Box Score takes a look at Felix Hernandez and other pitchers who throw hard changeups.
- The Modesto Nuts lost 9-7, but Chris Mariscal has knocked two or more hits in four of the last six games.
Nuts lose 9-7.— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) July 16, 2017
Joe Pistorese 2IP, 1H, 0R, BB, K
Eric Filia 3-5, 2R, 2RBI
Chris Mariscal 2-5, 3B, R, RBI
Joey Curletta 2-4, RBI, BB
- Daniel Vogelbach had two hits in Tacoma's 11-2 loss last night.
- Justin De Frats allowed just one run in seven innings for the Travelers.
Travelers lose 6-1.— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) July 16, 2017
Justin DeFratus 7IP, 5H, 1R, 0BB, 3K
Kyle Waldrop 2-4
Jeff Kobernus 1-3, R, SB
Ian Miller 1-3, HBP
- Oliver Jaskie, who the Mariners drafted in the sixth round out of Michigan, pitched three scoreless innings for the AquaSox.
Oliver Jaskie is very sharp tonight. 3IP, 3H, 0R, 0BB, 4K, 35-26. #AquaSox— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) July 16, 2017
- Nick Zammarelli extended his hitting streak to nine games in Clinton's 7-6 win.
Around the League...
- Todd Frazier is rumored to be most likely heading to Boston. Read more about that and other rumors from across the league.
- The Padres will likely deal Brad Hand for a high price this offseason. The Mariners are, reportedly, one of the teams in the mix for the lefty reliever.
- The Indians are one of the many teams looking at Sonny Gray as a potential addition before the deadline.
- Here's a projection for each of the prospects involved in the deal that sent Jose Quintana from the White Sox to the Cubs.
- The Astros are looking at Jeff Samardzija to help fortify their rotation.
- Max Scherzer is running a ridiculous 12.26 K/9 this season.
Max Scherzer has struck out 10+ batters in 9 of his last 10 starts.— Washington Nationals (@Nationals) July 16, 2017
- Husky Basketball forward Noah Dickerson played very well in Jamal Crawford's Pro-Am.