Good morning everyone! Happy Friday. I hope you all had a tremendous week. I’m sad because I haven’t been able to watch a whole lot of Mariners games lately. I’m traveling and broadcasting with a summer league team, and their games always take place at the same time as M’s games. So unfortunately all I ever hear about is what Twitter says or what I can read from recaps. Sadness consumes me.
But it doesn’t have to consume you! Here are some fun — and some not-fun — stories to start off your day.
In Mariners news...
- Mike Zunino changed his hitting approach — again. This time he thinks it’s finally paying off.
- It’s time for more good news! Drew Smyly should be throwing bullpen sessions in the near future.
- Also, there’s this. How very on-brand of him.
Mitch Haniger draws a WALK-OFF bases loaded walk after being down 0-2 in the count! Rainiers win 1-0 in 11.— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) June 9, 2017
- Greg Johns previews the Mariners’ priorities in the upcoming draft, which will start in just three days.
Around the league...
- Baseball has been getting gradually slower over time, but should be ramping up in speed in the near future.
- Addison Russell is also under MLB investigation for domestic abuse.
- Not trying to get political here, I just find this funny: Arizona senator John McCain says he should stop staying up late to watch Diamondbacks games. The DBacks were amused.
- In more Arizona news, former Mariners catcher Chris Iannetta tore it up last night.
Good guy Chris Iannetta, who has not driven in 50 runs in a season since 2011, and had 13 RBI entering day, drives in 7 in #Dbacks 15-3 rout— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) June 8, 2017
- This poor Reds ball boy accidentally picked up a fair ball and then immediately realized his mistake.
- MLB was auctioning off the jersey Hunter Strickland was wearing when he got ejected for throwing at Bryce Harper, but the league has since pulled the jersey from being sold.
- With the horrible season that Masahiro Tanaka is having this year, it’s not quite as certain that he’ll opt out of his deal with the Yankees.
- Grant Brisbee wonders why all of these older players are suddenly having Renaissance years at the same time.
- Speaking of which, check out this break down on Justin Smoak written by the fabulous Jeff Sullivan.
- Well that didn’t take long: Dallas Keuchel is already headed back to the disabled list, this time with a sore neck.
- Noah Syndergaard still doesn’t think he should have gotten an MRI for some reason.
- LeBron James might be leaving Cleveland soon to head west.