Good morning, and Happy Friday! It’s been a tough week for the Mariners. With a series against the Angels this week, it’s either about to get a whole lot worse or a whole lot better. Or somewhere in between. In any case, it’s the weekend!
In Mariners News...
- Sam Gaviglio’s start, originally scheduled for Friday, has been moved to Saturday. Instead, Ariel Miranda still will start today.
- Emily Giambalvo wrote an interesting article about the Mariners’ seemingly endless shuffle between the majors and Triple-A this year.
In Mariners Minors News...
- Mariners pitcher Thyago Vieira was named to the Futures All-Star Game.
- Tyler O’Neill, baby.
TYLER O'NEILL WALKOFF TWO-RUN JACK! pic.twitter.com/bwt9gKzY6f— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) June 30, 2017
- You can read a full recap of the Tacoma game here.
- Evan White recorded his first pro hit, but the error-prone Aqua Sox fell to the Hillsboro Hops, 5-4.
- Justin De Fratus gave up six runs in the first inning, and the Travelers dropped a game to the San Antonio Missions. Ian Miller had a leadoff triple and Ryan Casteel knocked a two-run double, but the closest the Travs would come would be 6-3.
- The LumberKings lost a rain-delayed game to the Kane County Cougars, 5-2.
- The Modesto Nuts have picked up right where they left off before the All-Star Break and now have a five-game winning streak, defeating Visalia 8-1. Eric Filia struck out for the first time since June 8, though, so clearly he doesn’t deserve consideration for the Futures game.
- The Nuts aren’t just getting it done offensively, either:
The Modesto rotation of Bannister, Neidert, Lopez, Misiewicz, McClain during the Nuts 5-game winning streak:— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) June 30, 2017
0.75ERA, 36IP, 20H, 5BB, 33K
Around the League...
- MLB umpire John Tumpane saved a woman’s life on Wednesday.
- David Price is one of a number of pitchers arguing that baseballs this year seem more juiced than usual.
- Yankees rookie Dustin Fowler had his MLB debut on Thursday - and tore his patellar tendon.
- A Blue Jays fan has lost his job and been banned from MLB ballparks for a year after throwing a beer can onto the field.
- I love Ichiro.