Good morning everyone! Happy Thursday. There’s a whole lot of stuff to get to today, so enjoy your off-day reading! Hopefully the Mariners can get rolling again soon and make off-days not nearly so painful.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners have outrighted righty Pat Light to Tacoma.
In Mariners minors news...
- The Triple-A All-Star Game rosters were announced yesterday. Jean Machi and Dan Vogelbach will represent the Rainiers.
- Eric Filia continues to kill it as of late.
- The AquaSox are back to .500 thanks to a 7-5 win last night against Vancouver.
Around the league...
- Looks like the Blue Jays beat the Mariners to the punch.
The Blue Jays have signed Michael Saunders to a minor league deal. He's off to Buffalo.— Arden Zwelling (@ArdenZwelling) June 28, 2017
- But here’s their chance to make things right!
The #Rays will activate RHP Brad Boxberger before tomorrow's game. RHP Danny Farquhar has been DFA.— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) June 29, 2017
- Trea Turner is on pace for the greatest baserunning season of all time. I mean, the dude almost single-handedly got Miguel Montero fired.
- Speaking of Montero, he was DFA’d by the Cubs yesterday after his public rant about his pitchers.
- Anthony Rizzo clearly wasn’t a fan of Montero’s remarks.
- You can add Miguel Sano to the list of players who are set to take part in this year’s Home Run Derby.
- Y’all need to see this Very Good Baseball Dog.
A dog brought the umpires water between innings. 14/10 very thoughtful pic.twitter.com/YB232h68Uu— Kent (@RealKentMurphy) June 27, 2017
- Craig Edwards at Fangraphs analyzes the impact of a speedy baseball team. It’s actually really titled “What Can Speed Do?” which is very similar to the ol’ Jarrod Dyson phrase.
- I’m so glad that teams have players who can come back from injury ahead of schedule rather than those who have massive setbacks...oh? Sorry. Freddie Freeman might come back soon.
- Max Scherzer has been really good lately, but that doesn’t make him better than Clayton Kershaw.
- Yasiel Puig will not be suspended for flipping off fans. Instead, he will do some community service.
- Carl Edwards, Jr. skipped the Cubs’ White House visit so he could go see dinosaur museums — or so he says.
- Tim Tebow hit a home run in his first High-A game, so take that naysayers!
- This is unbelievable.
- ESPN just recently released its first 30 for 30 podcast. They’re going to release five this year to start things off, likely to see how popular they are. I listened to the first one yesterday — called “The Trials of Dan and Dave” — and I loved it. Here’s a direct link to it, and they’re also up on iTunes.
- Los Angeles Clippers star point guard Chris Paul is headed to Houston in a trade that sends seven players back to Los Angeles. Now we’ll find out how well CP3 and James Harden can mesh on the court together.
- The New York Knicks fired team president Phil Jackson, but it might not actually make anything better for them.