Good morning land lubbers! I’ve never actually said nor typed that word and now it looks strange. But we are fans of the Mariners so we might as well talk like sea people. Hey, what’s a pirate’s favorite lett—
is thrown overboard
In Mariners news...
- Drew Smyly could be back on the Mariners by mid-July.
In Mariners minors news...
- My favorite 2017 under-the-radar draftee was lights out last night for Everett.
JP Sears has K'd 4 consecutive batters to start his pro career. #AquaSox— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) June 26, 2017
- Meanwhile, Johnny Slater is still at it.
Johnny Slater blasts a 3-run HR!! 2 games as a pro & 2 HR's. AquaSox up 3-0— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) June 26, 2017
- Tacoma fell to Reno last night 9-1. Boooooo. But Tyler O’Neill drew two walks. Yayyyyy!
- The Modesto Nuts defeated Stockton in extra innings last night, which was pretty cool too.
Around the league...
- Hey guys: Ichiro is old. He became the oldest MLB player to ever start a game in center field last night for the Marlins.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers have way too many Mariners players. They just placed Franklin Gutierrez on the disabled list again and called up Mike Freeman to replace him.
- Speaking of former Mariners, Jason Vargas became the first MLB pitcher to reach 11 wins this season.
- The Mets are ready to be sellers, but perhaps this isn’t the market for them to do so.
- Kenley Jansen — one of the game’s top relievers — had to make two major adjustments in his professional life. First, he had to learn English. Secondly, he had to learn how to pitch.
- The Brewers claimed Steven Vogt off waivers from the A’s.
- This is news nobody wanted to hear, but Tim Tebow has been promoted to High-A St. Lucie.
- Giancarlo Stanton plans to participate in this year’s home run derby, which will take place at his home park. He will look to defend his title from last year.
Peter goodbye special...
- Unfortunately, our beloved Peter Woodburn is stepping away from the site. Peter will continue to bring you quality Zags #content over at The Slipper Still Fits, but for now I wanted to honor Peter with a Best of Peter Woodburn segment. So lo and behold:
- Peter uncovered the secret blueprints to the 2017 Seattle Mariners World Series parade. I know I can’t wait!
- Peter was well-liked by most, but not all.
Was just reminded about my favorite email I have ever received pic.twitter.com/WfUNlhzuBx— Peter Woodburn (@wernies) May 24, 2017
- “Wait, what Mariners-Pirates recap?” Oh, this one which was picked up by Yahoo! without permission and went viral.
- Peter tried to create the cast of The Real World entirely of former Seattle Mariners players.
- He also scoured the internet for Yelp reviews of the various MLB ballparks and discussed the merits of them.
- There are many more great articles Peter has written, and he will very much be missed! The good news is I’m sure you’ll be able to catch him around Safeco Field every now and again. He’s not hard to find.