There’s not much to say about this game. It sucked. It sucked really bad. It was a continuation of the White Sox Series. The change of scenery didn’t work. The off day didn’t help. The activation of Robinson Cano from the DL was all for naught.
The Mariners took their suckiness on the road to Washington DC where they failed to play a game that was even moderately interesting. Christian Bergman, coming off a fantastic start, utterly imploded tonight. It’s been a rough few days for Mariner starting pitchers, but it’s hardly a surprise. You can’t expect a minor league rotation to have any sort of consistent success against Major League teams. It’s a nice Cinderella fantasy to think they can, but the reality is giving up 36 runs in the last 4 games.
There’s no way around that, whether you’re optimistic or pessimistic, this really sucks. There’s no right or wrong way to feel about this team, but even the sunniest optimist will have trouble watching their team lose like this night after day after night.
The major highlight of this game is that no Mariner player was injured. That we know of. Yet.
Some days this team is so fun and so good and so rewarding to watch. Then, it all falls apart. It’s been a terrible roller coaster of emotional highs and lows and I’m exhausted. I should know better than to succumb to the ride by now; my fandom is older than many of you.
Tonight felt like some bizzaro alternate universe. The Mariners left the sunny Pacific Northwest to greet the rainy Other Washington. Twitter was awash with reminders that the Mariners could have drafted Anthony Rendon as he single-handedly dug a hole for the Mariners to plunge into.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda.
Things That Happened in the Game:
- Jean Segura and Kyle Seager each had two hits
- Mike Zunino hit a home run in the 6th inning. He’s fixed now.
The #Mariners Mike Zunino has hit HR no. 1 on the season in his first game back from AAA. Details: pic.twitter.com/RpnbkcddVe— MarinersPR (@MarinersPR) May 24, 2017
- Emilio Pagan pitched 4 fantastic innings, yielding only 1 hit and striking out 4.
- The time of game was a breezy 2:28
- My 20 month old kept trying to type on my computer during the game. I joked I would let her write the recap. Her favorite part of the game was the shot of the dog statue coming back from commercial. She has a pretty good understanding of Mariner baseball.