Hello and happy Friday! Yesterday the Mariners captured that elusive first win of the season. Today they get the hell out of Houston and begin a series against the Angels. Hopefully they can pick up another couple of wins there. While you’re waiting for the game, here’s some news to get you through the day.
In Mariners news...
- Sound the alarms! Felix is starting on Saturday!
- Justin Seager is ready to go for the season.
- No surprise here: top pitching prospect Andrew Moore had an excellent start to the 2017 season in Arkansas.
- A pair of low-level prospects were suspended for PED use.
- Marc W at U.S.S. Mariner previews the Mariners minor league teams.
- The M’s didn’t start 0-4, but...
Mariners fans, don't panic: 10 teams in division era have started 0-4 or worse and made playoffs! 2011 Rays started 0-6 and won 91.— David Schoenfield (@dschoenfield) April 7, 2017
Around the league...
- Feel free to speculate on why this happened.
- The Braves have become the destination for washed-up stars. Atlanta agreed to a deal with Ryan Howard. He joins R.A. Dickey, Matt Kemp, Bartolo Colon, Jim Johnson, Brandon Phillips, and Nick Markakis on a team that also recently featured Nick Swisher and Michael Bourn.
- Major League Baseball players might be allowed to take part in the 2020 Olympics.
- Dave Cameron at Fangraphs wonders if young players will stop signing lucrative contract extensions early in their careers, making for more exciting free agent classes.
- I really hate the new dorky helmet flap, but Keon Broxton thinks it saved his life last night when he was hit in the face by a 92 mph fastball.
- Jeff Sullivan is a big fan of the Astros pitching staff. The M’s just witnessed how good it is first hand.
- Tim Tebow hit a home run in his first minor league at-bat.