Whelp, the Mariners are 0-2 and it hasn’t been much fun to watch. However, consider these encouraging words from Andrew as you start your day.
As a frame of reference, the first two games in an MLB season is equivalent to the first 12 minutes of the first game of an NFL season.— Andrew Rice (@Andrew_Rice) April 5, 2017
Now let’s get to the links.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners haven’t played the best baseball thus far, but they do have the best promotions in the league coming our way in 2017.
- Jerry Crasnick of ESPN discusses how the Mariners are going against the grain by prioritizing outfield defense.
- Drew Smyly was moved to the 60-day DL.
Around the league...
- Stephen Piscotty endured a very unfortunate inning in which he got hit by three different baseballs.
- Astros prospect Jonathan Arauz was suspended 50 games after testing positive for Methamphetamine. The 18 year-old shortstop is currently ranked as the No. 18 prospect in the Astros’ system.
- The Braves enlisted Allen Iverson to address the parking concerns around their new stadium.
- Former Dodgers star Pedro Guerrero is gravely ill after suffering a stroke.
- Coca-Cola has replaced Pepsi as the official soft drink of the MLB.
- Tony Romo is hanging up the cleats.
Tony Romo is leaving football and going into broadcasting, even with Dallas planning to release him today, sources tell @toddarcher and me.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 4, 2017
- Most of you have probably seen this already, but Stephen Piscotty’s ordeal was strikingly similar, so I felt obligated to link.