Hello everyone! You know what day it is: OPENING DAY! Even more importantly, it’s Felix Day! Happy first Felix Day of the year. Here’s some nice reading material for you as you prepare for the game.
In Mariners news...
- MLB Trade Rumors reviews the Mariners offseason.
- Jason Churchill at Prospect Insider briefly breaks down the Mariners’ minor league rosters (Clinton link, Modesto link, Arkansas link, Tacoma link).
- Chase De Jong will replace lefty Dillon Overton on the MLB roster while the latter is away on paternity leave.
Around the league...
- This must be tough news to hear just before Opening Day.
Melvin Upton Jr has been told that he has been released by the #BlueJays, and is now headed home to Tampa. He will clear waivers Wednesday— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) April 2, 2017
- ESPN wonders if Carlos Martinez is the Cardinals next ace. He started on Opening Day for the Cards last night.
- Pinstripe Alley worries that the Yankees won’t have the patience to complete their rebuild.
- The Mariners definitely have the best Opening Day Twitter hashtag, right?
- Our best friend in Tampa Bay loves to be unique.
- Madison Bumgarner killed it yesterday with the bat, becoming the first pitcher to ever hit two home runs in a game on Opening Day.
- Fernando Rodney is gonna Rodney.
Fernando Rodney: 1 IP: 2 H, 2 BBs, 2 wild pitches. 1-0. We gotta fix this one day, #MLB.— Erik Lundegaard (@ErikLundegaard) April 3, 2017
- New York Knicks guard Derrick Rose got injured again. This time, he’s out for the season with a torn meniscus.
- The South Carolina women’s basketball team captured the NCAA championship last night in a win over Mississippi State.
- Meanwhile, University of Washington women’s basketball coach Mike Neighbors is reportedly close to returning to Arkansas to serve as their head women’s basketball coach. This would no doubt be a ginormous loss for a Huskies team that has recently risen to national prominence under Neighbors.