Happy Friday, everybody! Anders is off trying to save the world today, so you’ll be subjected to me (hi, it’s Ethan) instead. I hope you’re all having a wonderful morning full of waffles and french press coffee and–oh, who am I kidding, no one has time to make waffles and french press coffee on a weekday.
Let’s get to it.
In Mariners news...
- Jeff Sullivan looked at how the FanGraphs community projects the rest of the season to go for certain players, including Mitch Haniger.
- Jeff also examined how the amount of expected wins has changed for each team from the beginning of the season to now. The Mariners have had one of the biggest nosedives in the league.
- The Mariners are giving away lightsabers at Star Wars Night!
- Leonys Martin is officially staying in the Mariners organization!
Around the league...
- Masahiro Tanaka tossed a ‘Maddux’ (a complete game shutout in fewer than 100 pitches). The righty went the distance against the Boston Red Sox, beating Chris Sale in the process.
- Jim Callis released his Top 100 Draft Prospect list for the 2017 season. Some guys around the Mariners’ 17th slot: Missouri State 3B Jake Burger, UCLA RHP Griffin Canning, and Mizzou RHP Tanner Houck.
- Padres player Christian Bethancourt is officially switching to pitching. Bethancourt attempted to stick on the 25-man roster as a position player-pitcher hybrid and it didn’t go well.
- Things aren’t great for the New York Mets right now. Both Noah Syndergaard and Yoenis Cespedes have been added to the growing list of ailing Mets.
- In case you were wondering whatever happened to Carson Smith:
(NFL Draft Special) In Seahawks news...
Perhaps I wasn’t the best choice for the links this week, what with me being a Rams fan and the links having a special Seahawks section for the NFL Draft this weekend. Speaking of which, being a Rams fan is a lot like being a Mariners fan, so I pretty much get to experience gloom and doom on a year-round basis. It’s a blast.
Back to the Seahawks, they did not select a player in the first round of the NFL Draft, opting instead to trade down multiple times. They now own roughly 80 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I’m assuming one will be used on a guard no one has ever heard of who will routinely be eaten alive by Aaron Donald. The other 79 will live to torment the Rams on a permanent basis. Whatever.
Bonus Pick of the Day...
- EVERYONE SHUT UP, THE NEW KINGSMAN TRAILER IS OUT