Good morning folks! The Mariners are back on a roll, having won two straight series. The M’s feel like a pretty darned good 7-9 team. In addition, Jean Segura and several bullpen pieces are on the way back soon. After that the only holdout will be Drew Smyly, who I’ve almost forgotten is on the team.
Today the Mariners begin a series with the A’s. Goms.
In Mariners news...
- Segura is set to begin minor league rehab this weekend!
- In case you missed Ichiro’s home run yesterday, here you go:
Around the league...
- The Blue Jays rotation has been bitten by the injury bug, forcing the team to call up Mat Latos.
- Yankees veterans don’t want to go through a rebuild, making things very difficult for New York’s front office.
- Rival scouts think that Starling Marte’s suspension leaves the Pirates dead in the water for 2017.
- John Lackey isn’t impressed by Eric Thames’ hot start to the season. The Cubs starter may have insinuated that Thames is taking PEDs.
- Kate Feldman at The Hardball Times wrote about Shlomo Lipetz, Israel’s baseball hero as the only member of the WBC team who was actually from the country.
- Patrick Dubuque at Baseball Prospectus wonders what bad hitters have in common.
- Nick Stellini at Fangraphs wrote about how atrociously awful CB Bucknor is at umpiring.
- Derek Jeter and Jeb Bush are considering a dual bid to purchase the Miami Marlins.
- The biggest non-baseball sports news from yesterday was that former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez hung himself in his jail cell amidst his murder trials.
- You need to check out this awesome piece written by Dan Wetzel at Yahoo! about Hernandez’s temperament in his last few days. Wetzel has been covering Hernandez’s case for the last several years.
- Shaquille O’Neal’s son has committed to play basketball at Arizona.
- News broke yesterday that tennis star Serena Williams is pregnant! She apparently won her most recent Grand Slam title while pregnant too.