Good morning folks! Yesterday was a pretty exciting day in Mariners camp. They won a game, celebrated a birthday, and much more. Let’s get to what you may have missed from the world of baseball.
In Mariners news...
- Chris Egan at King 5 did a feature on our favourite Canadian outfielder.
- In case you missed it, the Mariners helped Leonys Martin celebrate his birthday in a pretty cool way. Here’s a series of tweets that illustrates the story.
There is a mariachi band playing in the Mariners clubhouse now.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) March 6, 2017
So the mariachi band is following Leonys Martin wherever he goes. It was his birthday present from the team. pic.twitter.com/ibb0sZIayq— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) March 6, 2017
Kyle Seager volunteered to pay for an extra hour of the band. So this will continue— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) March 6, 2017
Martin is now making sure the band is hydrated and asking for water to be brought to them while we works on pop ups in the sun— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) March 6, 2017
Hitting with a sombrero isn't easy pic.twitter.com/R2vFIua8o6— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) March 6, 2017
Leonys Martin got a little emotional talking about the celebration and what Scott Servais meant to him as a player.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) March 6, 2017
No, we can barely hear the audio because Felix grabbed the violin and tried to play it behind us while we were talking to Leonys https://t.co/7IZnF2ATDI— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) March 6, 2017
- If you’re looking for more mariachi goodness in article form, Shannon Drayer wrote all about the celebration and more cool clubhouse notes in her latest piece.
- Here’s a full video of Leonys’ initial surprise.
- Kate Preusser (hey! I know her!) made her Fangraphs debut yesterday in a beautiful piece on Mariners’ fireballer Thyago Vieira.
Around the league...
- The World Baseball Classic is a platform for Latino baseball to thrive on the big screen, writes ESPN’s Pedro Gomez.
- Statcast is including catch probability and hit probability to its large pool of new statistics.
- Perhaps there were signs that David Price’s injury was coming, writes Eno Sarris at Fangraphs.
- Travis Sawchik wonders if the hype train on Gary Sanchez is moving a little too fast. I had the hot take last year that I didn’t think he was going to end up being particularly good, but it’s looking like I’m probably going to be wrong there.
- The odds don’t like David Ross’ chances of winning Dancing With the Stars. I didn’t know they did odds on such a thing but I suppose they do odds on just about everything.
- Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs thinks Justin Smoak might be ready to take the next step in his career.
- The Washington Post has hired a cast of female reporters to cover D.C.’s professional sports teams. Pretty awesome!