Good morning folks! A lot of news to get to today, so let’s hop right to it.
In Mariners news...
- Stop me if you’ve heard this one before.
Just spoke to Edgar Martinez. Asked him to name a player who will surprise ppl this year. Before I even finished the question: Mitch Haniger— Dave Softy Mahler (@Softykjr) March 29, 2017
- More progress for Tony Zych.
Zych needed just 10 pitches for a 1-2-3 inning in the minor league game. He will throw again on Saturday.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) March 29, 2017
- Some scary news for Mariners fans as Drew Smyly was scratched from his final spring training start. Updates on his status are likely to come soon.
- Marc W at U.S.S. Mariner takes a look at Felix Hernandez’s fastball usage and placement as of late.
- Marc W also delved into Hisashi Iwakuma’s start from yesterday, which was extremely concerning.
Around the league...
- Sam Miller discusses possible solutions to keeping baseball fun. I’m sure you guys don’t need convincing, but some people do.
- Sports On Earth gives its predictions for the 2017 baseball season.
- MLB scouts gave their anonymous predictions of opposing teams at Sports Illustrated.
- Watch Carlos Correa play fetch with his adorable puppy.
- Apparently Ichiro isn’t planning on retiring, maybe ever. I wonder if eventually Ichiro will take a victory lap in Seattle. Would that be something we’d even want? So many questions.
- Shane Tourtellotte at The Hardball Times wonders if umpires become more or less likely to eject managers as they age.
- The Cubs have set themselves up to be baseball’s next big sports dynasty, writes Ryan Pollack at Fangraphs.
- Jeurys Familia has been suspended by the MLB for 15 games for domestic violence charges.
- I wish I had known about this yesterday, but it’s never too late to celebrate!