Good morning everyone! We’re only four spring training games away from real baseball.
If you haven’t checked it out yet, I highly encourage you to head on over to SB Nation’s 2017 MLB preview extravaganza. There’s a whole ton of stuff there that will take me many days to get through, but one of the most enjoyable features I saw was Grant Brisbee’s deep dive into game length.
Brisbee discovers the true reason why games are significantly longer now than they were 30 years ago. It’s super interesting and delivered in a gorgeous way that only Brisbee knows how to do.
Additionally, the SB Nation staff thinks the Mariners will win the AL West! That seems pretty wild to me. I don’t even think they’ll win the division. It’s always nice to hear validation from people who aren’t looking at the team through rose-tinted glasses.
There’s also much more stuff to get to today, so if you want to take a break from the preview, here are some other places to look.
In Mariners news...
- Some bad news for the Mariners bullpen as it appears Shae Simmons isn’t progressing as fast as the team was hoping.
- 10-year-old Long Island native Carter LaCorte previews the upcoming Mariners season.
- Vice Sports has a neat profile on Jean Segura.
Around the league...
- One former Mariner made the Diamondbacks 25-man roster while another did not.
.@dbacks option INF Ketel Marte to Triple-A Reno; select RHP Tom Wilhelmsen, LHP Jorge De La Rosa; put OF Socrates Brito on 60-day DL.— MLBRosterMoves (@MLBRosterMoves) March 28, 2017
- Ben Lindbergh tries to find every team’s version of Andrew Miller (just don’t look at who the Cubs have).
- MLB Daily Dish is curating people’s confidence levels in their favorite teams’ general managers. Go here to take part in the research.
- Sung Min Kim at Deadspin provides The KBO For Dummies, a guide on how to become interested in Korea’s professional baseball league.
- Alex Rodriguez made a meme of himself with this wonderful tweet.
- The Rays made a deal with the White Sox to acquire former saber darling Peter Bourjos.
- Sound the alarms: Munenori Kawasaki has been released by the Cubs and is a free agent.
- A.J. Pierzynski officially retired to join the FOX Sports crew. I thought the catcher retired a long time ago.
- Patrick Dubuque and Meg Rowley combined their talents to tackle Christian Bethancourt and the idea of a two-way baseball player.
- Kate and Matt also joined in on the Baseball Prospectus fun with another appearance in Short Relief.
- Long live the world’s greatest gif.