Good morning everyone and happy Monday! I know it’s the beginning of the work week, but just think about the fact that we’re just two weeks away from Opening Day. We’re almost there! Here are a few links to get your morning started.
In Mariners news...
- Bob Dutton profiled Mariners starter Chase De Jong over at Baseball America, although there is a paywall to view the whole thing.
- Although spring training stats don’t matter, Leonys Martin has struggled this spring while adjusting to his new batting stance.
- Yay for healthy Mariners!
Manager Scott Servais said that Tony Zych (shoulder) looks ready to pitch in a Cactus League game next week.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) March 19, 2017
- James Paxton made the most of his minor league outing by trying to improve his breaking pitches.
Around the league...
- Eric Longenhagen over at Fangraphs ranked his top 100 prospects, and pegged Kyle Lewis as the 38th-best prospect in the nation.
- Sad news for a former Mariners reliever trying to catch on with a squad.
The Royals have released RHP Brandon League.— Rustin Dodd (@rustindodd) March 19, 2017
- Shohei Otani may face a difficult journey in trying to get to the states once he decides to leave Japan, writes Ken Belson at The New York Times.
- The Rays have officially extended outfielder Kevin Kiermaier on a six-year deal.
- The Washington Huskies men’s basketball program announced that it will hire Mike Hopkins as the team’s next head coach. Hopkins was formerly the main assistant coach at Syracuse for over two decades.
- Duke bit the dust in the NCAA tournament yesterday in what has been a disappointing season for the Blue Devils.