Good morning everyone and happy Winter Solstice! Here are some links for you as you get your day going.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners have officially signed Juan Nicasio to a two-year contract after the righty reliever passed his physical.
Around the league...
- This is a pretty tough break for the Orioles. I wonder if it impacts whether or not they move Manny Machado this offseason.
BREAKING: Orioles closer Zach Britton ruptured his Achilles yesterday working out in California. Expected to be out at least six months.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 20, 2017
Fan tells Jeter it’s ironic that town hall meeting is being held behind Budweiser Bar in left field, because there won’t be a ball hit in the area by the home team next year. #marlins— Andy Slater (@AndySlater) December 20, 2017
- I wonder if this means the Twins are out of the running for Yu Darvish?
Per @Ken_Rosenthal , #mntwins are “considering” FA RHP Alex Cobb and “made a run” at 37-year-old LHP CC Sabathia before he re-signed w/NYY for 1 year at $10 million. A CC-Mejia rotation combo would have been something to behold.— Mike Berardino (@MikeBerardino) December 20, 2017
- David Ortiz will have his own TV show starting in late January.
- The Giants have acquired third baseman Evan Longoria, who had previously spent his entire career with the Rays.
- Chris Archer seems to be taking Longoria’s departure pretty hard.
Never thought there would be a day where you weren't a Ray. We will do everything we can to continue the legacy that you created. I'll never forget the things I learned from you.— Chris Archer (@ChrisArcher22) December 20, 2017
It was such a pleasure to stand along side you on the diamond. You'll be missed, everyday. pic.twitter.com/xGntiRLKBY
- Grant Brisbee doesn’t really think the Giants can contend in 2018, although the team appears to think they can.
- Jeff Sullivan agrees that it seems like an odd time for the Giants to acquire Longoria.
- Kyle Schwarber, who is known as a bat-first outfielder, wants to win a Gold Glove in the near future.
- The designated hitter is hurting the National League, notes David Schoenfield at ESPN.
- Rob Manfred defended Derek Jeter’s moves as owner of the Marlins.
- Dee Gordon also bashed Jeter for what he’s done with the team so far.
- The Mets have extended the contract of general manager Sandy Alderson.