Hello everyone and happy Monday! Things have slowed down significantly since the flurry of moves during the Winter Meetings. As such, we have just a small dosage of links for you today. Here’s what you may have missed from the weekend.
In Mariners news...
- James Paxton is going to be a key component to the Mariners’ success in 2018, writes Greg Johns.
Around the league...
- Salary caps aren’t the solution to our problems, according to Jeff Passan.
One last thing: The next time anyone cries "Salary cap!" in response to anything the Yankees, Dodgers or any other large-market team does, please send them this.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) December 17, 2017
Salary caps are a false idol. They do not create competitive balance: https://t.co/LJDTXRlLXi pic.twitter.com/dxXiF8MrcT
- But money doesn’t always matter when it comes to separating good teams from bad ones.
- Pinstripe Alley is fine with the Yankees trading Clint Frazier for the right piece.
- Anthony Rendon is willing to open up contract extension discussions with the Nationals.
- The offseason is only a couple of months in, but Cubs outfielder Kyle Schwarber has already lost around 20 pounds.
- The Padres have agreed to a contract with right-hander Jordan Lyles.
- If you’ve seen Star Wars: The Last Jedi, our very own Jake Mailhot has a terrific review and breakdown of the film.
- For those of you who, like me, watched this show growing up (Language is NSFW):