I leave tomorrow morning for Bandon Dunes. I’ve heard incredible things about the golf course and am excited to play it. If anyone here has played there before, feel free to leave your thoughts about Bandon in the comments. Also, take a look at these links.
In Mariners News...
- Casey Boguslaw ranked every team’s projected 25-man rosters. The Mariners slotted in at fifth in the American League.
- Nelson Cruz went to the unveiling of a statue honoring Osvaldo Virgil, the first MLB player from the Dominican Republic.
Con la estatua del 1er Dominicano en MLB. Osvaldo Virgil's statue unveiling in Montecristi. With the man himself Ozzie, along with Severino, Sports Minister Danilo Díaz and Starlin. https://t.co/xeH2iqNKnR pic.twitter.com/qRQEpg8zFn— Nelson Cruz (@ncboomstick23) December 16, 2017
- Shawn O’Malley signed a minor league deal with the Rockies.
Hearing that UTL Shawn O’Malley signed a minor-league deal with Colorado that includes an invitation to big-league camp. #Mariners moved him off the 40-man roster in September.— Bob Dutton (@TNT_Mariners) December 16, 2017
- Former Mariner Yovani Gallardo is set to rejoin the Brewers.
Source: Free-agent RHP Yovani Gallardo in agreement with #Brewers. Gallardo was Brewers’ second-round pick in 2004, pitched for MIL from ‘07 to ‘13. #Mariners declined his $13M option. Combined ERA past two seasons: 5.57.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 16, 2017
Around the League...
- CC Sabathia signed with the Yankees for $10 million dollars.
BREAKING: According to a source, the Yankees have agreed to a one-year deal with CC Sabathia worth $10 million. The deal is pending a physical.— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) December 16, 2017
- Dan Szymborski tweeted this for perspective on WAR.
You always gotta remind people that one-WAR players aren't being projected as good. If replacement level is a 47.7 win team and a team of 2 win guys should be average and 81 wins, a team of 1 WAR across the board is is like a 64-65 win team.— Dan Szymborski (@DSzymborski) December 16, 2017
- The Braves and the Dodgers completed a five-player trade, including Matt Kemp and Adrian Gonzalez. Upon the completion of the trade, the Braves DFA’d Gonzalez.
#Braves designating Adrian Gonzalez for assignment, I’m told.— Robert Murray (@RobertMurrayFRS) December 16, 2017
- Here are the cash implications of the deal.
Sources: Trade is effectively cash-neutral overall, but will get #Dodgers under $197M luxury-tax threshold for 2018. Kemp’s money spread out over two years. Three players #Braves getting all one-year guys. ATL will designate Gonzalez for assignment, enabling him to be free agent.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 16, 2017
- Jeff Sullivan shares his analysis of the trade between the Braves and Dodgers.
- Even with enormous revenues, MLB teams are salary dumping to avoid luxury tax.
Baseball's revenues topped $10 billion this year and the Yankees and Dodgers are salary dumping players this offseason because of the luxury tax. Good times for the MLBPA.— Mike Axisa (@mikeaxisa) December 16, 2017
- UW football’s recruiting momentum continues to build as a highly touted linebacker committed to be a Husky last night.