Hello everyone! The first two days of the Winter Meetings may have been excruciatingly slow, but yesterday certainly made up for it. There was a flurry of moves, so let’s try to get you caught up on all of them.
In Mariners news...
- In case you missed it, the Mariners used $1M of their international signing money to re-acquire a Double-A pitcher they gave up in late in 2017.
- While the Mariners are going to continue to pursue pitching, Jerry Dipoto doesn’t expect to acquire a “household name.”
Around the league...
- An interesting frontrunner has emerged in the Manny Machado sweepstakes. The Orioles reportedly hope to move the third baseman by the end of the week. Machado will be a free agent after the 2018 season.
The #WhiteSox have no intention of flipping Manny Machado if they land him, they say, insisting he fits into their long-term plans— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) December 14, 2017
The #Orioles have no intention to permit any team a negotiating window with Manny Machado— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) December 14, 2017
- It’s a reliever-signing frenzy! The Nationals have agreed to a two-year pact with Brandon Kintzler.
- The Astros signed right-hander Joe Smith to a two-year contract.
- Man, I’d love to see Eric Hosmer on the Padres.
- The A’s have reportedly acquired Stephen Piscotty from the Cardinals, but neither team has announced the trade yet.
- The Padres would love to flip Chase Headley, who they just re-acquired from the Yankees.
Padres working very hard to move Chase Headley, other teams say.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) December 14, 2017
- Fantasy baseball platforms are having trouble deciding what the hell they’ll do with Shohei Ohtani.
- This is actually pretty weird to think about.
So far in free agency, one player who is not a pitcher or catcher has signed a major-league contract: Leonys Martin, with the Tigers.— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) December 13, 2017
- Michael Pineda inked a two-year contract with the Twins.
- The Rockies have agreed to bring back left-hander Jake McGee.
- The Yankees may have gotten Giancarlo Stanton but there’s another stud moving to New York that nobody is talking about...
One day after whiffing on a pair of their top relief targets, the Mets pivoted to righthander Anthony Swarzak. In agreement on 2 years,$14m sources tell Newsday.— Marc Carig (@MarcCarig) December 13, 2017
- The Cardinals took advantage of the Marlins fire sale by making a trade for outfielder Marcell Ozuna.
- There’s still one player to keep an eye out on when it comes to the Marlins.
Marlins are regrouping now and plan to talk to Christian Yelich about how he feels about staying. He’s frustrated to see 3 best friends/top players go. So he may say he wants to go, which may trigger trade of him, too.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) December 13, 2017
- The Angels made a major trade as well, acquiring Ian Kinsler from the Tigers. Los Angeles is also reportedly close to trading for a third baseman, which some theorize is Chase Headley.
- Jose Canseco lost his job with NBC Sports California after a series of controversial tweets.
- Yovani Gallardo may soon find a new home.
Reds are looking into rotation options and have some interest in Yovani Gallardo, source says.— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) December 13, 2017
- Danny Duffy has been the subject of some trade rumors, but apparently he doesn’t want to go anywhere.
Bury me a Royal.— Danny Duffy (@duffkc41) December 13, 2017
- Bob Costas won the Ford C. Frick Award, which honors a baseball broadcaster every year for excellence in the field.
- Buster Olney thinks the Yankees should bat Aaron Judge at leadoff next year.
- The Cubs have reached a agreement with Steve Cishek.