Good morning everyone! Yesterday brought with it some good news and some bad news. Everyone around baseball was shocked and saddened to learn about the passing of Roy Halladay, who crashed in a personal plane in the Gulf of Mexico. He was only 40 years old.
We are saddened by the tragic news that Roy Halladay, 2-time Cy Young Award winner & 8-time All-Star, has died in a plane crash. He was 40. pic.twitter.com/SOFv3bOLyt— MLB (@MLB) November 7, 2017
Halladay was an incredible pitcher during his time and was also a great humanitarian, for which he should also be remembered.
Flew a Dog Rescue trip to Alabama for two 5m old puppies who's ears were cut off w/ scissors to prep them as practice for dog fighting!! SAD pic.twitter.com/A6EYYFGoT5— Roy Halladay (@RoyHalladay) September 26, 2016
Let’s get you some other news from around the sport.
In Mariners news...
- Well that didn’t take long. The Mariners have outrighted Zach Vincej, clearing more room on the 40-man roster.
- Jeff Sullivan wonders if Zach Vincej could be the next Zack Cozart.
- The M’s are already planning their promotions for next year.
- Some Mariners-related humor from Election Night (Andy meant to say “Mainers.”)
We...we don’t have that many players.— Mariners (@Mariners) November 8, 2017
Around the league...
- Halladay was an incredible talent on the mound.
Percentage of starts ending in a CG:— Ryan M. Spaeder (@theaceofspaeder) November 8, 2017
Roy Halladay: 17.2%
Roger Clemens: 16.7%
Dwight Gooden: 16.6%
Randy Johnson: 16.6%
Greg Maddux: 14.7%
Orel Hershiser: 14.6%
David Cone: 13.4%
Pedro Martinez: 11.2%
David Wells: 11.0%
John Smoltz: 11.0%
Mike Mussina: 10.6%
Tom Glavine: 8.2%
- Major League Baseball announced its Gold Glove Award winners yesterday. No Mariners made the cut, but a lot of first-timers took home some hardware.
- Baseball had its recent opportunities to make a step towards diversity in the sport and failed, writes Mary Craig.
- Phil Rogers takes a look at some players who had excellent seasons but who won’t be recognized with awards.
- Congratulations to Kate and Justin!
- Viva El Birdos makes the case for the Cardinals to sign Jarrod Dyson.
- John Lackey would like to pitch in 2018 rather than retire. So would Bartolo Colon.
- Have an iPhone with that annoying glitch where it won’t let you type the word “I”? Supposedly this method will help (although I didn’t do me any good).