Hello fellow humans and happy Tuesday! After a temporary quiet period in baseball, there was a metric crapton of news in the sport yesterday. Let’s get to it.
In Mariners news...
- Baseball Census interviewed Mariners farmhand Art Warren, who is currently honing his craft in the Arizona Fall League.
- If you want to learn more about Dr. Lorena Martin and her new role with the Mariners, here’s a handy video presented by the team.
- Only nine players were offered qualifying offers, but they’re the kind of players that the M’s could be interested in.
Around the league...
- All of the finalists for the major post-season awards were announced. There were some surprises, such as the fact that neither Rockies standout made the cut for NL MVP.
- If you’re wondering which players’ options got picked up and whose didn’t, here’s a tracker for you.
- Submarine right-hander Kazuhisa Makita may come to the states from the NPB if an agreement is made between the Japanese league and MLB.
- Jim Duquette predicts the landing spots for each of the top 25 MLB free agents. Duquette pegs the M’s to sign the top free agent in this year’s class.
- The MLB Veterans Committee announced the people that will be on their special ballot this offseason.
- Leonys Martin isn’t getting the respect he deserves.
- Interesting to note that Shohei Ohtani has selected the same agency and agent as Jean Segura, who just signed a big extension with the Mariners. Balelo is also a former Mariner himself. Perhaps some rapport will help in negotiations?
Sources: Shohei Ohtani has chosen CAA to represent him in the United States. Nez Balelo will be the lead agent.— Dylan Hernandez (@dylanohernandez) November 7, 2017
- Meanwhile, the Astros continue to dip their toes into the international market.
Sources: Astros nearing deal on catcher Lorenzo Quintana, 28, from Cuba on deal in $200K range. Bat first with good glove. Backup profile.— Jesse Sanchez (@JesseSanchezMLB) November 6, 2017
- Let’s Go Tribe wonders if other teams will follow the Astros’ blueprint of tanking to become future juggernauts.
- Dave Cameron previews some teams that could dominate this year’s offseason.
- According to Brian Cashman, one of the main reasons Joe Girardi got fired was because of his method of communication with players. It’s interesting that it took so long for them to let go of him, if that was the case.
- The NFL touchdown celebrations this year have been fantastic.