Happy Thursday famiLLy! The Mariners still have the longest playoff drought in baseball, but today, I get to leave work early, drink beer, and go to a concert, so life is good!
In Mariners News...
- Safeco Field is getting an all new playing surface for the first time.
Mariners re-doing the entire playing surface at Safeco this offseason, including outfield grass for first time since stadium opened in '99.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) October 4, 2017
Mariners announce work will begin Thu. to replace the entire playing field at Safeco. First time it has been replaced.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) October 4, 2017
- Felix Hernandez is expected to be handled differently in 2018, and it is very sad.
Around the League...
- The D-Backs, whose Wild Card roster was made up 12% by ex-Mariners, beat out the Colorado Rockies for a chance to face the Dodgers in the NLDS.
- White Sox bench coach Joe McEwing is expected to interview with the Detroit Tigers for the managerial vacancy this week.
Tigers also will interview White Sox bench coach Joe McEwing this week, according to baseball source.— Jason Beck (@beckjason) October 3, 2017
- A new mini-documentary chronicling the Cleveland Indians 22-game win streak titled “The Streak” debuted, and it’s pretty epic.
- Archie Bradley—a relief pitcher—hit a triple. Wit the bases loaded. In the playoffs. In an elimination game.
- Chris Mitchell at Fangraphs looked at the players KATOH got wrong in 2017, and M’s prospect Dan Vogelbach appears on the list.
- Wild Card starting pitchers were....not good.
Madison Bumgarner threw more innings by himself in last year's NL wild card game (9) than all four wild-card starters did this year (7 1/3).— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) October 5, 2017
- Former standout Washington State University offensive lineman Riley Sorenson’s cancer is in remission!
- You probably saw this, because this account is amazing, but this adorable doggo made me smile.