Good morning everyone! The Yankees absolutely obliterated the Astros yesterday, because it’s the playoffs and of course they did. But the biggest news to come out of yesterday was this piece by Baseball America on MLB’s potential expansion into Portland and Montreal.
I think it’d be awesome to see expansion. For many of you readers out there who are no doubt closer to the Portland area, it would give you an even more accessible team to root for.
If you dig into the article, there are a bunch of even weirder theoretical changes, such as realignment into four different divisions with a completely different regular season and playoff structure. Given how tied baseball is to its tradition, I can’t see the league deciding to make changes so drastic. But Rob Manfred hasn’t been afraid of innovation. It’ll be an exciting development to follow.
Here’s what else you need to know to start off your day.
In Mariners news...
- Kyle Lewis is still rehabbing his knee, but is set to join the Arizona Fall League action next week.
Around the league...
- Camden Chat blames Wade Miley for a large portion of the Orioles’ struggles this season.
- Baseball America lists the top prospects to watch for in the Arizona Fall League. The Mariners’ own Eric Filia lands at #10.
- Again: don’t leave us, Manny.
- Joe Maddon made some pretty major errors in the team’s loss to the Dodgers on Sunday, writes Dave Cameron.
- In somewhat related news, Travis Sawchik notes that roles for relievers are becoming more foggy.
- Federal Baseball wonders what will happen to Bryce Harper given the Nationals’ latest display of postseason ineptitude.
- Not usually a big fan of murder mysteries but this seems very cool.
- Here comes NBA season!