Good morning folks! Yesterday was baseball-free since Game 4 between the Nationals and Cubs rained out. The good news is that we get two postseason games today. That and much more in today’s links.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners are cool again, guys!
- Here’s Kyle Lewis taking some practice swings in the Arizona Fall League.
Around the league...
- Baseball is doing pretty well in terms of television ratings, according to Forbes.
- Baseball Prospectus (through a paywall) previews the Peoria Javelinas of the AFL, the Mariners’ affiliate team in the league.
- Many of today’s players are analytically-minded. Could any of them make the transition from player to general manager?
- Derek Jeter made his first major hire at the helm of the Marlins, swiping Gary Denbo away from the Yankees to serve as the vice president of scouting and player development.
- The Mariners weren’t the only team with someone playing injured this year. Mitch Moreland spent the season battling a knee injury.
- Dave Cameron defends Dusty Baker’s questionable decisions in the first few games of the playoffs.
- New York governor Andrew Cuomo claimed that the Mets are now a fully New York-based franchise after the recent deal with the Syracuse Chiefs. The Columbia Fireflies weren’t too happy with the statement.
- I introduce to you: Weird Things People From the Midwest Say (NOTE: My family is from the midwest, so I say this with love).
- Thanks to a surprising chain of events, the U.S. Men’s Soccer Team failed to qualify for the World Cup.