Ed. note: Please welcome Adam Gresch, LL’s new Community Engagement intern, who will be providing you with linky goodness on the weekends (as well as filling in for our beloved Ders when his a capella career demands more of his time), in addition to some other fun tricks this video specialist has up his sleeve for you. You can find him on Twitter @adamgresch. Welcome, Adam!
Happy Saturday everyone! I’m one of Lookout Landing’s fresh, young interns, and I’m here to get your weekend started with a bit of baseball news. I’m currently a junior at the University of Washington studying political science, but obsessing over baseball. When I’m not in class you can sometimes find me on the slopes of Stevens Pass, and my desk at home sports the bobbleheads of Kyle Seager, Lou Piniella, Jamie Moyer, and Ichiro. Also, shoutout to my friend Dane, who I grew up with in Moscow, ID. Like me, he’s a longtime Lookout Landing reader, but unfortunately he has never been able to score on me in 1 on 1. Anyways, I’m super excited to be on board here at Lookout Landing, and it’s Mariners FanFest weekend, which means there are only two more weeks until pitchers and catchers report on February 14th!
Without further ado, let’s see what else we have on tap to kick off the weekend.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners released the 2017 Kings Court t-shirt options. Vote for your favorite here.
- Mariners FanFest is this weekend. Jean Segura, the Mariners’ biggest offseason pickup, will only be available today, but here’s the full lineup for the entire weekend.
- ESPN’s David Schoenfield says Jean Segura is the most unpredictable player for the Mariners in 2017.
- The Mariners expect King Felix to bounce back in 2017.
- Despite the discouraging news yesterday that Kyle Lewis could be out until the All-Star break, he made MLB Pipeline’s Top 10 Outfielders list.
- Hitting drills are getting more and more complicated:
Around the league...
- In accordance with Lookout Landing’s Texas Rangers preview, ZIPS updated their 2017 Projections for the Rangers yesterday.
- The Yankees will be sporting these “godawful” caps this spring.
- The White Sox agreed to a minor-league contract with former Angel, Peter Boujos. Bourjos has had a tough time since he left Los Angeles in 2013, and hasn’t posted a league average season on offense since.
- While remaining high on former Mariner Luis Sardiñas, the Padres are open to upgrading at Shortstop. Sardiñas batted .287 in 120 PA after his trade to the Padres in 2016.
- Former second round pick Sam Travis looks to quickly climb through Boston’s farm system after season-ending knee surgery in 2016.
- Brian Dozier is happy to still be playing for the Twins despite a tumultuous offseason.
- John Heyman thinks Mike Napoli could be a good fit for the Twins. Napoli, approaching his 35 year old season, still hasn’t signed for 2017 after posting a career high of 34 home runs last year.
- Cleveland will be hosting the 2019 All-Star Game.
- In honor of the X-Games being held this weekend, here’s my favorite ski video: