It may be a Monday, but it's also only two weeks until Opening Day is upon us. And today brings us quite the matchup. I'm not sure if it's fair to call any spring training matchup a "revenge game," but Hisashi Iwakuma takes the mound against the Los Angeles Dodgers, who agreed to a deal with Kuma before failing his physical. So I would imagine this gives him a lot of extra motivation. (Not.)
A couple tidbits before the main event:
- Franklin Gutierrez was scratched from today's lineup. But! Don't start flipping out yet!
Guti scratched from lineup with the flu— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) March 21, 2016
I'm officially not worried until it's re-classified as bird flu.
- Dae-Ho Lee was seen at the Arizona airport last night because he's off to be with his wife, who is pregnant and expecting. Best wishes to both of them! Lee's opt-out date is approaching (various media reports have pegged it as "late March"), so the M's are getting close to decision time.
- Iwakuma is starting, and the plan is for him to be succeeded by a series of relievers:
Mariners pitching today vs. Dodgers: Iwakuma 4-5 innings, followed by Roach, Altavilla, Montgomery and Zych. Kenta Maeda starting for LAD.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) March 21, 2016
- And as for position players, Luis Sardinas is starting in center field today and Shawn O'Malley is manning the hot corner. Both are competing for a utility spot, and O'Malley has torn the cover off the ball this spring, hitting .556/.636/.815 in 27 at-bats (though, again, spring training stats really don't matter). Definitely something to keep an eye on.
- Mariners v. Dodgers, 1:05 pm PST
- TV: N/A
- Radio: 710 ESPN
- Online: MLB.tv