Hello everyone! The non-tender deadline came and went last night, and with it a host of new free agents entered the fray. One of the most notable additions is starter Tyson Ross. Ross combined for 7.6 fWAR in 2014-2015 with the Padres, and has held an ERA below 3.50 in every full season he’s thrown. However, Ross sat out for essentially all of last season due to shoulder injury.
Ross becomes one of if not the best free agent starting pitcher on the market. He’s probably going to end up signing with a team like the Dodgers seeing as Los Angeles has a lot of money to spend combined with the fact that Ross is a California native. However, the Dodgers have been hesitant in the past with pitchers who have injury concerns (like with Iwakuma last season). The injury history could make Ross a buy-low option, unless every team sees him in that light. In this market, he very well could get multiple years.
Ross could be the solution to the M’s search for a starter. But it really depends on how many teams are willing to spend significant money on him given those concerns. Now, onto the rest of the day’s stories.
In Mariners news...
- Bob Dutton reports that the Mariners offered contracts to every player on the team’s 40-man roster.
- Right-hander Ryan Weber has been outrighted to Tacoma after clearing waivers.
- In former M’s news, Wade LeBlanc has agreed to a one-year pact with the Pirates.
wade leblanc agrees to 800K pirates deal. 1 year plus option. 750K in '17, 1.25M in '18, 50K buyout.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) December 2, 2016
- More former Mariners news, as David Rollins winds up in Philadelphia.
#Rangers claim RHP Brady Dragmire from Pirates, but lose LHP David Rollins as Phillies claim him. 40-man roster still full.— Jeff Wilson (@JeffWilson_FWST) December 2, 2016
Around the league...
- Albert Pujols will miss the beginning of the season after undergoing foot surgery.
- MLB Daily Dish has a tracker for all the players who were non-tendered.
- Apparently Taijuan Walker was pitching for a lot of last season while dealing with bone spurs at the same time.
- Jung Ho Kang has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident that occurred while Kang was under the influence in his home country of Korea.
- The Braves made a strange trade, acquiring starter Jaime Garcia from the Cardinals for prospects. The trade is peculiar because Garcia is only under contract for one season, and the Braves aren’t likely to contend in 2017.
- An unfortunate side effect to the new CBA in baseball is that Japanese superstar Shohei Otani may not be able to come stateside for a few years.
- Paul Swydan at Fangraphs is a fan of the new 10-day disabled list.
- The Pirates and Nationals are ramping up on discussions involving star center fielder Andrew McCutchen. The Pirates are looking over tape on Nats prospects to prepare for the possibility of a trade.
- The Nats were apparently active on all fronts, as they pulled off a deal for Padres catcher Derek Norris.
- Move hot stove news abound, as it seems the Tigers are likely to trade outfielder J.D. Martinez this offseason. Martinez will be a free agent next offseason.
- The Diamondbacks signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year deal.