Happy Sunday morning to you all. Whether you’re spending it hiking, doing chores around the house, or watching whatever it is the NFL is up to these days, I hope it goes well. Let’s go over some happenings in the baseball world, shall we?
In Mariners news...
- OF Boog Powell, a top prospect in the system, got in a fight with a teammate in the Dominican Winter League and needed stitches. We don’t know the specifics and Dylan Cozens, the teammate Powell fought with, has documented attitude issues of his own, but yikes, Powell can’t seem to keep himself out of the headlines.
- OF Tyler O’Neill, arguably the best prospect in the system, played in the AFL Fall Stars Game last night and performed well. At one point he singled, stole second, then came around to score on a single. I must’ve missed the episode where Popeye started mixing nitrous oxide with his spinach.
- Kevin Martinez, the Mariners’ VP of Marketing, posted a poll on Twitter asking fans if they’d be interested in the Mariners wearing the infamous Turn Ahead the Clock uniforms next season or if they’d prefer a new futuristic design. Things could get weird in 2017.
- There’s a pretty great interview with RHP Edwin Diaz in this article from PrimeraHora.com. In the article, Diaz reflects on his first year in the bigs and how it differed from his time in the minors. NOTE: the whole website in Spanish, so it may be time to get your translation on.
In other news...
- This heartbreaking yet beautiful article from Anthony Castrovince looks at the connection between the Cleveland Indians’ playoff run and his son he lost far too soon.
- Ben Bandler looks at why the union needs to fight back against potential changes that would greatly impact the international amateur player market.
- Yoenis Cespedes has officially opted out of his contract with the New York Mets.
- Jon Heyman has reported that OF Michael Saunders is unlikely to receive a qualifying offer due to his poor finish. Saunders should still find plenty of cash waiting for him in free agency, however.
- Matt Holliday is officially a free agent after having his option declined. Injuries have limited Holliday over the last two seasons and he’s put up just 1.6 fWAR over his last 183 games.
Ethan’s picks for the day...
- A man in Australia went on a frantic search for a bathroom and found the 49,000-year-old remains of a human settlement instead.
- An oldie but goodie: someone mashed up LCD Soundsystem and Miles Davis and created poetry. I rediscovered it last night while looking through an old Youtube account and have played it multiple times since.