I know you guys have been waiting forever for this news, but I am here to tell you that the hot stove is finally cooking. It took us almost 24 hours for some gosh darn moves! I tell you, it seems like it takes longer every year. What? No, it's definitely not because of shortening attention spans nationwide. What a crazy theory.
What was I just talking about? I don't know. Here's some baseball.
In Mariners news...
- In case you haven't heard about it yet, Tyler O'Neill will be playing in tonight's AFL Fall Stars Game. First pitch will be at 5:00p.m. PT and will be televised on MLB Network and on MLB.com.
- The Mariners' new owner, John Stanton, expressed a desire for the team to win a World Series in a piece by Ryan Divish. While the knee jerk reaction is "well, duh," it's a stark contrast to what M's fans have heard from M's ownership in previous regimes.
As if you couldn't get enough World Series goodness...
- Grant Brisbee thinks that Game 7 of the World Series was one of the greatest baseball games ever. Personally, I think it was the best baseball game ever. It was also a topic of heated debate among the sports department of Hofstra's college radio station, which I'm a part of. What do you think?
- To spark further debate, Jesse Spector ranks the ten most exciting games from the 2016 postseason.
- In case you haven't had your fill of emotional World Series recaps, Jonathan Bernhardt at The Guardian looks back at the historic game.
- Make sure to send good vibes to this poor guy, who made a brash move and has to pay the price.
- David Ross' postgame interview was cut short as his teammates ensured he retired in style.
- The Cubs could be the next great baseball dynasty, writes Dave Cameron. Kind of strange to think about how the Cubs might go from the most pitied team in the game to the least pitied in a matter of months.
- Jeff Sullivan gives more credit to Mike Montgomery than to Aroldis Chapman for the championship.
- Alex Hall looks back at the World Series from the perspective of an A's fan.
In the baseball universe...
- SB Nation's options tracker, free agent tracker and trade rumor tracker are all live. Feel free to give them a bookmark, but we'll try to update you on the major happenings here on Moose Tracks.
- Dexter Fowler declined his option with the Cubs. He represents arguably the biggest fish in the outfield market, which is certainly an area the Mariners would like to improve. I wouldn't count on the M's raking together enough money to make a run at him, but it's worth keeping an eye on.
- The St. Louis Cardinals have extended the contract of manager Mike Matheny.
- Terry Francona will also be under contract with the Indians through the 2020 season. No shock there.
- The Arizona Diamondbacks have hired Torey Lovullo as the team's manager for 2017. Lovullo previously served as the bench coach for the Red Sox.
- Nick Stellini at Fangraphs previews the closer market for the offseason. While the M's aren't likely to be in the hunt for a big-name reliever, it's interesting to consider how much money some of these guys might get.
- Brewers outfielder Keon Broxton was arrested for trespassing while in Tampa Bay.
- The Angels have acquired starter Vicente Campos from the Diamondbacks. You might remember Campos as the other player the M's traded to get Jesus Montero. Or maybe you live in Everett and remember the "Campos Court" section the AquaSox had every time he started.
- The Phillies struck a deal with the Astros for reliever Pat Neshek. Although Neshek is getting old, he's been a solid middle reliever for the Astros and has had moderate success against the Mariners in his career.
Anders' picks for the day...
- I guess Kate spilled the beans in yesterday's edition of Moose Tracks. I am indeed in an a cappella group. My friend (who is also in the group) and I have recently become obsessed with a group called Faux Paz, a group from the University of Maryland. They're not quite Pentatonix, but you should still listen to them. They placed third internationally last year.
- Feeling some Hydro Challenge withdrawal? Here's some fun marble & easter egg races on a sand track. Pick a color to root for, and enjoy!