Happy Wednesday, Mariners fans! Here are some links for you on this cold, rainy Pacific Northwest morning:
In Mariner Land...
- Jerry Dipoto discussed the Whalen and Povse acquisitions on Brock and Salk yesterday. He mentions that Povse is up to 250 pounds, which sounds so much better than his 6’8, 185 listing at FanGraphs.
- Robinson Cano and Nelson Cruz are officially on the Dominican Republic preliminary roster, according to one report. Former Mariners Adrian Beltre and Welington Castillo also join the club.
- Kyle Glaser of Baseball America gave his take on the Alex Jackson trade.
- The Mariners are making a big push to get Edgar Martinez on Hall of Fame ballots everywhere.
- Bob Dutton suggests that Doug Fister is drawing interest from the club.
In other news...
- Eric Thames is back in Major League Baseball. He signed a 3-year, $15m with the Brewers yesterday. Thames spent the last few years tearing up KBO pitching.
- Yoenis Cespedes and the New York Mets have agreed to a 4-year, $110m contract, meaning Yo gets to stay in the National League, which is very far away from Mariners pitching.
- The Miami Marlins are in the market for one Kenley Jansen and could be willing to trade closer A.J. Ramos if they land Jansen.
- Jon Jay has struck a deal with the Chicago Cubs, making the return of Dexter Fowler appear far less likely.
- Pooping in space is weird and it’s up to us to figure out how to make it less weird. NASA is officially offering $30,000 for anyone who can come up with an innovative solution.
- No real rhyme or reason here, I just love this song so damn much: