Good morning everyone! Jerry made so many moves yesterday I’m not sure I even know everything that happened. By the time this story gets published, he might have pulled the trigger on four more moves. I wouldn’t be surprised.
The moves Dipoto made yesterday signify that he’s learned to patch the team with a good deal more depth for next season. You can never have too many pitchers or versatile bench players, especially on a competing team. The last thing you want is to have to give Mike Freeman 200 plate appearances next season out of necessity. A flexible roster can certainly make a fun team to watch as well. I’m sure we’ll see some strange lineups next season from Scott Servais and co.
But enough about that, let’s take a look at some other news you need to start the day.
In Mariners news...
- Shannon Drayer has quotes from Jerry Dipoto on every move the team made yesterday.
- Thyago Vieira is thankful for the opportunity the M’s have given him.
Nice message from Thyago Vieira after being added to the 40-man. We're happy to have you, too, you Brazilian fireballer. pic.twitter.com/JnqjpE1Dmj— Kate Preusser (@1nceagain2zelda) November 19, 2016
- Jason Churchill at Prospect Insider says that the Mariners have to get aggressive if they truly want to compete.
Around the league...
- There was some sad news for fans of ex-Mariners everywhere.
.@Yankees release INF/OF Dustin Ackley; DFA RHPs Nathan Eovaldi, Nick Rumbelow, LHP Joe Mantiply; outright RHP Branden Pinder.— MLBRosterMoves (@MLBRosterMoves) November 19, 2016
- Jeff Passan took a deep dive into the dark side of the journey Cuban baseball players who immigrate to America have to endure to play in the majors.
- Beyond the Box Score wonders why Wil Myers hit better at Petco Park than he did anywhere else.
- Jason Lukehart at Let’s Go Tribe takes a moment to appreciate how valuable Carlos Santana is to the Indians.
- Craig Edwards thinks Dexter Fowler has a skillset that’s built to last. That’s a good thing, because whatever team signs him is likely to break the bank to get him.
- The Royals re-upped with catcher Drew Butera on a multi-year deal.
- Jeurys Familia’s wife has asked that authorities drop the assault charges on her husband.
- The Rangers have reportedly agreed to a one-year, $10M deal with starter Andrew Cashner, a move that Dave Cameron apparently likes.
Andrew Cashner isn’t very good, but 1/$10M for a starting pitcher with any kind of ability isn’t a bad idea.— David Cameron (@DCameronFG) November 18, 2016
Anders’ picks for the day...
- Zaza Pachulia did a strange little dance after making a basket last night for the Golden State Warriors.
- CNN has a cool story about a man who aims to be the first person with dwarfism to complete an ironman triathlon.