I was a dumb kid.
I guess in hindsight, we all probably did some stupid things when we were youngins. But my dumb kid story is one I feel relates to this time of the year. When I was something like 5 or 9 or 15 I walked into the kitchen and was curious as to the workings of the stove. My curiosity led me to a magnificent conclusion: I should turn the stove on and touch it. This, as it turned out, was not as magnificent a decision as I initially believed, as my finger got singed and I instantly removed it from said stove. It would be a week or so before I had full feeling of my right index fingertip, but sometimes when you play with the hot stove you get burned. Or something. Never has Anders Jorstad messed with a hot stove since.
But Jerry Dipoto, he was born into the heat. Molded by it. He didn't know about "standing pat" until he was already a man, and by then he had already traded half of the Mariners' roster:
From Dipoto's conference call on the Trumbo trade: pic.twitter.com/mOWDROeLNi— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) December 2, 2015
If you thought the stove was hot now, you ain't seen nothing yet. Onto the links!
- In case you missed it in the shuffle, the M's made a few minor moves not posted about on the site here.
- Patrick Kivlehan was sent to the Rangers to complete the Leonys Martin trade.
- Shannon Drayer got some good quotes from Jerry Dipoto on his recent moves.
- August Fagerstrom wonders how Mark Trumbo will perform in Baltimore.
- Dave Cameron thinks the Tigers should go after outfielder Alex Gordon.
- Chris Mitchell at Fangraphs takes a look at some of the more interesting minor league free agents.
- The Twins have come to terms with Korean slugger Byung-Ho Park.
- Zack Greinke is expected to make a decision shortly.
- The A's made a trade with the Padres, acquiring Yonder Alonso and Mark Rzepczynski.
- The Red Sox opened up their wallets to net David Price.
- The Dodgers got slapped with a large fine for passing the luxury tax threshold for the third year in a row.
- Barry Bonds is likely to become a hitting coach for the Marlins.
- The Royals have acquired catcher Tony Cruz from the Cardinals.
- Check out MLB Trade Rumors' non-tender tracker if you're interested.