Following one of the most memorable off days -- perhaps of all time -- the Mariners will open a three-game set against the Nationals tonight, headlined by one Felix Hernandez.
Despite two abbreviated starts this month, Felix still leads all major league pitchers with 6.2 fWAR in 191 innings pitched, couching 204 strikeouts and a 2.43 xFIP. This will be his first game against the Nationals, leaving only the Colorado Rockies and St. Louis Cardinals on the list of teams he hasn't yet faced.
Tonight will also be the first time that Nationals' right-hander Jordan Zimmermann faces the Mariners in his six-year career. The 28-year-old is 9-5 this season after leading the league with 19 wins in 2013. He ranks 13th among major league pitchers with 3.8 fWAR and a 3.13 xFIP over 159 2/3 innings pitched. In his last start, Zimmermann went eight innings against the Giants, allowing seven hits, two runs, and striking out eight of 30 batters faced.
- Mariners vs. Nationals, 7:10 p.m. PST
- Tonight's game will be televised on ROOT Sports, broadcast at 710 ESPN, and available to out-of-market fans at MLB TV here.
- Ballpark promotion: Post-game Fireworks Night (last one of the season!)
- Per Shannon Drayer, you can credit bench coach Trent Jewett with today's lineup. Jewett is the interim manager both Friday and Saturday while Lloyd McClendon attends his daughter's wedding in Indiana.
- Second wild card status: The Mariners and Tigers are currently tied with a 72-60 record. The Tigers will open a series against the White Sox in Chicago this evening at 5:10 p.m. PST.
|WASHINGTON NATIONALS||SEATTLE MARINERS|
|Denard Span - CF||Austin Jackson - CF|
|Anthony Rendon - 3B||Dustin Ackley - LF|
|Jayson Werth - DH||Robinson Cano - 2B|
|Adam LaRoche - 1B||Kendrys Morales - DH|
|Ian Desmond - SS||Kyle Seager - 3B|
|Bryce Harper - LF||Mike Zunino - C|
|Wilson Ramos - C||Logan Morrison - 1B|
|Asdrubal Cabrera - 2B||Chris Taylor - SS|
|Nate Schierholtz - RF||Endy Chavez - RF|
|Jordan Zimmermann - RHP||Felix Hernandez - RHP|