A-Rod beat out David Ortiz and a host of other pretty awesome players to win his second MVP award in three years.
I've compared the two players' respective qualifications so many times in so many places that I don't really feel like getting back into it again, so here's the short of it:
- Avid BP readers will support the selection
- Most casual fans will oppose the selection
- Alex Rodriguez was a better hitter this year than David Ortiz
- Alex Rodriguez contributed something defensively, while David Ortiz did not
- Combined, these two factors outweight Ortiz's "clutch" advantage (which really did exist)
- The BBWAA actually appears to have gone against public sentiment on this one, which I didn't expect
Richie Sexson finished 15th, with seven points.