With the other thread nearing the 1000-comment threshold (is that still a proper threshold in the new SBN?) it's time to create a new forum for discussions that venture out of the realm of baseball. But alas, what about that "baseball" we speak of and the Mariners?
I feel so disengaged this season, with all the changes at LL and also not being able to see any of the games, everything's just a bit different with the community and I can't get a sense of how the fanbase feels about this season so far. I don't watch the games, I just see the numbers, and so how do I feel? I feel pretty good about the M's so far! I really don't know if this is public opinion or not, but I could also be riding the wave of a little hot streak that they've got going and now sitting at 13-17.
That would put them on pace for a 70-92 season, so a step back from their 75-87 record last year, but given certain factors I don't think that they look like a 70-win team to me:
- We wanted a player that could hit dingers but not do other things so badly that it didn't matter. Mike Morse is on pace for about 50 dingers.
- I was concerned about Kyle Seager going into the season, just worried that he couldn't repeat, but he's putting up better numbers across the board. Having a young player that actually has TWO good seasons in a row? INCONCEIVABLE!
- Michael Saunders too! 0.9 WAR in 12 games
- Jason Bay doesn't suck!
- Felix has competition for the Cy Young and his name is Hisashi.
- Sometimes Brandon Maurer is good.
- A hitting prospect! A hitting prospect! Everybody rejoice that Nick Franklin (.377/.500/.565) is "that guy" right now. And I don't mean for the Mariners, I mean around baseball.
So given that the Mariners have some very good relief prospects, I think that a player like Blake Beavan could be replaced. I think that there's hope that around the end of June, a pitcher like Erasmo or Hultzen could replace Saunders or Harang... or both! There seem to be flaws that are correctable within the system this year, and I think a .500 record is well within reach. I mean, of course it is after 30 games, but I like how we're doing. That's my .2.
- How are you feeling after 30 games?
- What's the best "experimental" album of all time?
- Is Nick Franklin where he is supposed to be?
- What's your most unpopular movie opinion?
- What player do you expect to turn it around, for better AND for worse?
- Any exciting summer plans you want to share with the group?
Those are just a few prompts for you to enjoy. Sorry for the lengthy intro. Hey, you only have to read it once!