UPDATE 4/15/13: So far we're at about $75, give or take a few bucks. There doesn't seem to be the same will to do this for 2013 as there was last year, so unless there's a lot more people who feel like donating, this will probably be the last update to this FanPost.
As you may or may not know, Baseball Reference allows fans to sponsor players' stat pages, and in return the sponsor gets to put a message on the page. Last year, because Felix is ours and you can't have him, LL took up a collection and paid for the sponsorship, because we're awesome like that.
The 2012 sponsorship ends on April 30th, so here we are again, (digital) hat in (electronic) hand, asking if you'd like to help sponsor the page again for the 2013 season. The sponsorship costs $385. Here's some stuff:
1. Last year, LL all-around-good-dude Faux headed up the effort, accepted everyone's paypal donations, and actually turned the money over to B-R once we hit the target. He isn't around LL much any more, so would someone like to step up and be the designated, uh, "person we send money to who then sends money to B-R"? This person would also "own" the B-R page for the year; Faux has indicated a willingness to transfer said ownership if someone would volunteer.
2. As mentioned, the cost of the page is $385; if we renew before 4/30, we lock in that price, but if the page is allowed to hit the open market, according to B-R, the cost ..."will increase quite a bit in the few days after the current sponsor expires, but will decrease daily (unless somebody swoops in and snaps him up) until it hits the natural cost again." So, timeliness is somewhat important.
So, I guess I'm asking for a couple things: Someone to step up and volunteer to be the money-getter, and lots of other someones to be money-givers. Since LL is all about numbers, let's see some!
- If one generous soul gives $385, that would be awesome and I will then ask to borrow money because you're obviously richer than I am
- If 385 of us give $1, it's done
- If 770 of us give 50 cents each, ditto.
- If 3,850 of us give a dime, we'll get there eventually.
- If, and I know this is a stretch, but if 38,500 of us each give a cent, PayPal will probably kill us.
Okay, those were dumb numbers. But still. We can do this - it didn't take long to hit our goal last year, and I'm confident we can do it again this year.
Soooooo........how about it, LL? Throw in a few bucks? C'mon, you've spent $5 on dumber stuff in your life.
UPDATE: Wetzelcoal has offered to be the money conduit, but that's the last I've heard from him - there's some momentum gathering here, wetzel, so get ahold of me and I'll get you the info you need.
If you want to be the PayPal conduit, please let me know in the comments and I'll update the post.