I know, I know, it's what I get for reading the Sporting News, but COME ON. This guy is being paid by a magazine to write some ridiculously outlandish predictions, including the following:
- NL Cy Young Award Winner: Jamie Moyer, Phillies. Really? Really really? A dark horse candidate, Jones got that part right.
- AL MVP Award: Kevin Youkilis, BoSox. Not a bad pick, but here's his runner-up: Derek Jeter. Which he defends by citing the league's new focus on small-ball. In the "Steroids Age"? Somehow, I don't think so.
- Best free-agent aquisition: Mark DeRosa, Indians. Has Jones never heard of a guy named CC Sabathia? Or maybe a guy named Mark Texieira? Or perhaps a certain AJ Burnett? Or Derek Lowe? Even Adam Dunn, maybe? Sheesh.
- AL Cy Young Award Winner: Francisco Liriano, Twins. Also not a terrible pick, but his runner-up is yet again flabbergasting: Gil Meche, Royals. Gil Meche??? I give up.
- Philly will win the Jake Peavy sweepstakes at the trade deadline. Ok, that one isn't that bad, but I can't see Peavy landing anywhere other than Chicago.
Jones also cites the positive direction in which KC is headed and how they're sure to win 85+ games.
Seriously, what's he thinking?