However, when I finally discovered how great podcasts are, I immediately subscribed to some music podcasts (KEXP's Song of the Day, and Music That Matters; NPR's All Songs Considered) and started rediscovering my hunger for new music.
Here's a list of artists I've discovered in 2009 that I really really enjoy:
- Alaska in Winter - Fascinating indie electronic. Check out the song Close Your Eyes - We Are Blind. Heavenly.
- Asteroid No. 4 - I actually started listening to one of their albums in 2007, but didn't really appreciate it (and their other albums) until this year.
- Bon Iver - Spare, ever-so-delicate indie folk.
- Choir of Young Believers - Folk + dream pop + indie pop = awesome.
- Dead Man's Bones - Ryan Gosling's band. Dark indie folk. Surprisingly good for a celebrity band.
- Dr. Dog - Bright indie pop that's sort of a throw-back to the Beatles and the Beach Boys.
- Faunts - Incredible indie electronic. These guys fucking rock.
- The Low Anthem - Indie folk that is occasionally quite rough around the edges, but is frequently beautiful.
- Malajube - Bright indie pop from Montreal.
- Patrick Watson - Crazy instruments and deep layering make for a very rich listening experience.
- Sarah Siskind - Folk. She has one of the most incredible voices I've ever heard.
- Sholi - Complex melding of dream pop and post-rock.
- Vitality - Spare, strange. Sort of rap, but not really. The "rapper" kind of sounds like Dan Aykroyd.
Who have you discovered this year? Any new favorite artists? Any previous favorite artists who have disappointed you this year?